Thursday, August 23, 2007

The First Rule of Book Club is...


When I lived in Columbus, I was in a book club.

The thing I liked most about the book club was the fact that I was semi-forced to read books that were out of my normal reading element.

Some were good (The Devil and the White City, Friday Night Lights, Diary: A Novel and The Color of Magic); some were bad (Birds Without Wings and Blindess) and one was just plain awful (Prague: A Novel).

All in all, I thought it was a great idea. I could hang out and talk with like-minded people who loved to read. Sadly, it's something you don't see too often nowadays.

That said, I was looking to join a book club up here in Northeast Ohio. But due to my job, looking after a kid and preparing for our son's arrival in September, I really haven't had the time to pursue it.

Basically, I just read what I want to read when I want to read it. I'm not complaining because, right now, I'm reading some cool shit.

But, I still miss the book club atmosphere.

A couple of months ago, I was over at my buddy's house. And the conversation turned to books.

"I'd love to start a book club up here," he said.

"No shit? Me too," I responded.

"We should get it going," he said.

"I'm in," I responded. "Did you know I was in a book club in Columbus?"

"Oh, really. How was it?"

I proceeded to tell him how we ran the book club in Columbus. That we got together every six to eight weeks. That we brought food and alcohol to liven it up a bit. And that each person in the club took turns hosting it at their house.

All in all, he seemed pretty psyched.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot," I said. "The person that hosts the book club gets to pick the next book that we read."

Complete silence.

"Wait a minute?" he blurted out. "You mean other people get to pick the book you're going to read?"

"Yeah," I said. "It's a book club." I made sure to put extra emphasis on the word 'club'. I might have even made the finger quotes with my hands.

He sat there for a couple seconds in silence. The wheels turning in his head.

"Nah, fuck that, I don't want to read books that other people pick," he said. "I'll just read my own stuff."

Oh well, back to the drawing (or reading) board.

6 comments:

Mark said...

Haha I was in a fightclub once. really it was just me...man im such a loser

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute....I thought that you reside in NorthEAST Ohio??? So, what am I to believe now?

Sense of direction, self-worth fading, fading, fadi....

Eimer Debris said...

Nice catch. I re-edited for Northeast Ohio. I was reading about all the flooding in Northwest Ohio that it stuck in my brain. Thanks, oh wise copy editor and fact checker.

Anonymous said...

You wish you lived in NW Ohio. I'm watching you, pal....

Eric Wiley said...

Your friend who didn't want to read stupid books other people picked out is cool.

Eimer Debris said...

In hindsight, I wouldn't call those two choices 'sucky'. How about 'daring'?