Anyone that has a had a kid (or kids) knows that the first two (or three) years are the toughest.
Literally, you have to give up everything to take care of these little bundles of joy. Unless, of course, you're a shitty father or mother.
In any event, the past three years (my wife and I had two kids in less than two years), I've put a lot of stuff on hold in my life including writing, cartooning, running and reading. Oh yeah, and hanging out with friends.
Don't get me wrong, I know that my life is never going to be the same. Hell, that's probably half the reason I signed up for Parenthood. I know there will be challenges, obstacles and problems ahead. There will also be fun times too!
I think having these little munchkins running around the house has revived the creative juices and passion to create. So create I will.
In 2010, I've started a number of projects and set a couple personal goals for myself. Some of the stuff I want to complete in 2010 are, as follows:
- More cartoons (I want to get back to the drawing board so to speak)
- Publish a short story (somewhere, anywhere with exception of this blog)
- Complete a children's book (I have a great idea and I plan to both write and illustrate)
- Finish a novel (I've got three, yes three, started. All good ideas. I want them to be grand
- More posts (Believe it or not, I want to write more Eimer Debris entries. I feel this blog has helped hone my writing skills which leads me too...)
- More 'Stories from Ghetto Kroger' (there's a lot more inside my head)
- Read even more books (this past year, I was able to read 50 books. I feel that this has also motivated me to get my ass in gear)
Daunting task? Yep. But as I get older I have to challenge myself to not fall into the dead-end dumpster of mundane. Everday I'm seeing a little more and more free time pop up. Not much mind you. But enough to keep my creative juices flowing.
And, I should add, as we speak I'm coaching my kids on their creativity. I'm challenging them to create new things, draw more, play more, imagine more...and watch less television.
I've got the creative whip a crackin'!!!! It's good to be back.
Here's to a great 2010...........for me!!!