If you click on the below link, you will be able to download MISCELLANEOUS DEBRIS - my FREE novella of short stories written circa 1999-2005. Besides two or three copyediting jobs and some tiny grammatical clean-ups (by yours truly) these stories have been untouched. Because, as I state in my forward, 'Where's the fun in that?'
The idea to toss these stories into a collection started about a year ago, when I came across a number of odd little writings that I had collected in an online folder aptly titled 'Miscellaneous Debris'. As I read over the stories, I thought, "You know, these aren't that bad. They're not that good, but they're not that bad either."
Then, I started to think about all of those people who are afraid to showcase their work for fear of getting chastised, laughed at, or berated. To be honest, I thought of myself because it's been a personal fear that has kept me from trying to publish any of my fiction to this date. I know. I know. No inhibitions. But, it's harder than you think.
So, as a form of carthasis, I thought I'd release these not-so-great works of fiction as a stepping stone to create something better, something bigger, something that will eventually, hopefully entertain the masses. And by masses, I mean more people than the three readers of this blog and my Facebook friends.
Before you start reading...I wanted to add a couple more thoughts:
- This isn't my best work, but it is some of my earliest short story work.
- I would welcome your feedback on your favorite and not-so-favorite stories (if any).
- I'm 100% sure that I'm NOT going to rewrite any of these stories, so save your edits.
- If you do see some type-os, please make note, I have not formally sent this document to a proofreader.
- Out of the 20 short, short stories in the novella, I would consider SYMPATHY, THE BLEEDER, THE BIRDFEEDER and THE BUM my personal favorites.
- My least favorite would have to be CRAZY DAY, but I just tossed it in for shits and giggles.
- I hope you have fun reading these as much fun as I had writing them.
- You can easily read this book with an iPad or iPhone...so download away.
- Right now, I have two books started that I can now focus my full attention towards completing.
- I'm not going to post this post to Facebook until January 15, 2012.
Now that I have baptized myself of these mediocre stories, onto bigger and better things.