So, once again, I crapped out in the Academy Awards selection
To make it easier, let me list the categories I did win:
- Best Picture (Argo)
- Best Actor (Daniel-Day Lewis)
- Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway)
- Foreign Language Film (Amour)
- Cinematography (Life of Pi)
- Original Screenplay (Quentin Tarantino)
- Animated Short Film (Paperman)
- Visual Effects (Life of Pi)
- Sound Editing (Zero Dark Thirty - which tied with Skyfall)
- Orignal Score (Life of Pi)
- Original Song (Skyfall)
And that was about it. Had I not went out to watch Life of Pi, I'd probably be looking at a 9-15 record.
Biggest surprises of the night:
- Ang Lee winning his second Best Director Academy Award (his first being Brokeback Mountain)
- Animated Film (Brave). I was sure Tim Burton was going to win for Frankenweenie.
- Supporting Actor (Christoph Waltz) - A no-brainer that I failed to even think about and instead picked Hoffman.
- What's up with Lincoln? Man, that movie couldn't win anything. I wonder if people are sick of Steven Speilberg. I'm not. I think the man is still knocking movies out the park. Maybe he's so good, they can't even compare him to regular directors. Oh well. I thought Lincoln was superb and would have been happy had either Argo, Lincoln or Life of Pi won for Best Picture.
- Still can't wait to see Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook.
That's really about it.