Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars Kicked My Ass.

So there I was on Saturday afternoon sipping a beer at Holiday Valley Ski Resort minding my own business when this gruff-looking guy pulled up a stool next to me and ordered a draft.

We exchanged pleasantries.

He asked me where I was from. I said Cleveland. Then we talked about the big Cavs trade. The upcoming Browns season. Blah. Blah. Blah. Sports. Blah. Blah. Blah.

The conversation hit a lull. And that's when I piped up with my question of the day.

"Soooo, who do you think will win Best Picture tomorrow?"

He stopped mid-drink and looked over at me.

"Best Picture for what?" he asked.

"You know, the Academy Awards" I responded. "The Oscars? Motion Pictures? Movies?"

He paused for what seemed to be an eternity.

"The Academy Awards?" he asked to no one in particular. "Ain't that, like, the Superbowl for Queers?"

"Hmm," I said to my redneck friend. "I really never thought of it that way."

Well, I'm not really sure if the Oscars are, in fact, the Superbowl for Queers; but this movie-loving straight man had a great time watching it last night.

So what was my final tally from last Thursday's predictions....

12 Correct. 12 Wrong.

Yikes, I've got to get to the theater more often!

A couple 'Oscar shockers' (You know, two in the pink one in the stink?):

- Tilda Swinton for Best Supporting Actress. (Not sure if anyone saw this coming. And if you say you did, you're lying.)

- La Vie En Rose (Two surprise wins for this French movie including Best Make-up and Actress)

- Roger Deakins not winning a Best Cinematography Oscar. (Although I'm sure There Will Be Blood is beautiful, Deakins was nominated twice in this category.)

- Visual Effects (I was convinced they'd give it to Transformers. Now, I've got to join the ranks of the satanic heathens and check out The Golden Compass.)

Well, now that the Oscars are over, it's time to concentrate on shitty movies until the fourth installment of Indiana Jones, the Kentucky Derby, NCAA basketball and March Madness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, "Super Bowl for Queers". He probably thought you were alright until you brought up the Oscars.

I get the same thing when the conversation turns to soccer, or if I ask someone I barely know if "they caught the Crew game last night".

Eimer Debris said...

CBROWN
Hey, I'm with you. When I was in high school, if you brought up the Academy Awards, skiing or soccer in a conversation, that was grounds for an ass-kicking. And if you mentioned an Academy Award-nominated film that contained both skiing and soccer, you'd be killed.