Wednesday, January 2, 2008

One-Sentence Movie Reviews

Although I haven't been to the theater since Knocked Up was released earlier this year, I will say that I've seen my fair-share of great (and not so great) movies on DVD.

That said, I thought I would entertain you with some one-sentence reviews of films that I rented the past three months. Enjoy.

ONCE. It's Hustle and Flow for street musicians.

TURISTAS. Hostel 1 & 2 in the jungle with plenty of hot bodies.

THE WIRE: SEASON 4. The best season (so far) to one of the best television series' ever.

RESCUE DAWN. In my opinion, one of the best films of the year that went under the radar.

JIM GAFFIGAN: BEYOND THE PALE. Great stand-up from a Conan O'Brien regular.

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. Although the final battle scene is worth the rental price, you'll need to see the other four Potter movies to understand what's going on.

WAITRESS. Another great little gem of a movie that came out of left field.

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. A great movie for college grads that haven't quite found their way in the world.

SUPERBAD. It's the next generation's Weird Science, Sixteen Candles and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

FUNNY GAMES. Very disappointing foreign thriller soon to be a shot-for-shot remake in the United States.

LADY VENGEANCE. The final bloody, thrilling installment of Chan Wook-Park's Vengeance trilogy.

LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD. IT-ignorant John McClane turns into Freddy Krueger with murder, mayhem and one-liners galore.

RATATOUILLE. This tasty, little animated movie about a rat who wants to be a chef is so good it should be nominated for a 2007 Best Picture Academy Award.

FIDO. A refreshing, new look on the dusty, old zombie genre.

SPIDER-MAN 3. Not as good as 1 & 2, but entertaining enough to sit through.

SICKO. Michael Moore stirs up America's anger once again as he takes on America's health care system.

BRIAN REGEN: STANDING UP. Great stand-up from my favorite comedian.

TRANSFORMERS. Great special effects can't pull this movie out of the scrap heap.

HOSTEL: PART II. At 90 minutes, a surprisingly good sequel although a bit low on body parts and blood.

So there you have it. Are there any reviews you disagree with? Why not shoot me a line to tell me that I'm wrong. Or great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I like Gaffigan and Brian Regan too. Does that mean something on a cosmic level?

I do want to watch Waitress; read good stuff on it, hard to find a movie to watch with the wife.

I saw Perfume with the kids this weekend. Loved the look, but the movie disturbed me.

Eimer Debris said...

Waitress is good. You should check it out. The ending of perfume was simply terrifying. I'm with you, though. It was both beautiful and ugly at the same time. Especially the beginning scene where the mom had the baby under the table. Tracy flipped out.