Thursday, May 1, 2008

Is THE STRANGERS basically THEM with masks?

Just came across this trailer for the upcoming film, The Strangers, starring Liv Tyler about a young suburban couple who are enjoying the peace and quiet of their secluded family vacation home until masked home invaders rattle their complacent cage.

Check out the trailer right here:



Not sure about you, but this flick (minus the masks) reminds me of the foreign film Them, a thriller made in 2006 concerning a couple who encounter strange events, prank calls and odd noises at their remote country home.

Check out the trailer right here:



Having seen Them a couple weeks ago, courtesy of Netflix, I think Ignorance Is Bliss when watching this movie. Had I known all the details, I wouldn't have dug it so much. That said, I thought the cinematography and direction were phenomenal. The tension created throughout the film had me looking behind me back wondering if the 'hoodies' were in my home.

Like I said, you should check THEM out with a blank slate in your head. And don't read any spoilers. You'll be pleasantly suprised. Plus, the shocking ending is reminiscient of recent films THE DESCENT and THE MIST, which I highly recommend.

So what do you think? Do both movies look the same or am I totally missing the mark? Or are both films blatantly ripping off Sam Peckinpah's home invasion thriller Straw Dogs starring Dustin Hoffman?

No comments: