I was driving to work today and thinking about the many different jobs I've had.
I thought I'd write them down and share them with the world (or, at least, the 15 people that check this site out every so often).
Then I got to thinking that it would be fun to share a couple crazy stories about each job I've had. Then I really got to thinking that each job could be a chapter which, in turn, could turn into a book.
What fun! Maybe I'll tackle this idea sometime down the line.
In any event, here are my 35 jobs. Keep in mind, that if I worked for someone in turn for payment it was a job. So, even if I didn't pay taxes on it, I still consider it a job.
1. Flower Delivery – 10 years old
2. Lawn-Mowing – 12-14 years old
3. House Painting Jobs - 10 - 16 years old
4. Back Cook at Hardee’s - 16-years old
5. Bagger, Buggy Getter, Cashier at Big Bear - 17-18 years old
6. Dishwasher/Busboy - 18 years old
7. Busboy - 18 years old
8. Factory Worker at Budget Gourmet - 19 years old
9. Construction Work for my Grandpa – 19 years old
10. Popsicle Boxer - 19 years old
11. Bagger & Meat Department – 19-21 years old
12. OSU Scoreboard Operator – 21 - 24 years old
13. Mowing/Landscaping Crew - 22-23 years old
14. Animator - 24 -27 years old
15. Painting Prices on Car Windows - 25years old
16. House Painting - 25-26 years old
17. Window Washer - 26 years old
18. Reseter (i.e. shelf re-arranger) - 26 - 30 years old
19. Cookie Stocker - 27 years old
20. Marketing Rep/Manager - 27-30
21. Reseter (another company) - 28 years old
22. Freelance Cartoonist - 28 -present
23. Sports Reporter/Photographer – 28 - 31-years old
24. Freelance Reporter/Photographer - 28-31 years old
25. Valet - 30 -33 years old
26. Bartender/Server - 30 -33 years old
27. Copywriter Job #1 - 31-33 years old
28. Paper Sorter, Boxer, Printing Work - 34-years old
29. Bartender/Server - 34-years old
30. Freelance Copywriter - 33-present
31. Copywriter Job #2 - 34 years old
32. Copywriter Job #3- 34 years old
33. Copywriter Job #4 - 34 years old
34. Landscaping work - 34 years old
35. Copywriter Job #5 - 34-present
Whew! There you go - 35 jobs in 35 years. Either the economy sucks or I'm just not that hard of a worker. Eh? Maybe it's both.
The crazy time was when I was 34 years old. I had a total of EIGHT different jobs (not counting freelance clients) due to my move from Columbus to Cleveland. That's seven different tax forms.
Below are some BONUS JOBS that I included. Technically, they're not really jobs, but it was required work to pay off some sort of debt to society or make some extra money:
* 100 hours of community service (destruction of private property)
* 24 hours of community service (underage drinking)
* Sold stuff on E-bay
* Sold DVDs and CDs back to CD companies in college
Now I'm curious, how many jobs have you had?