Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Search Of a Warm Easter In Ohio.

Not sure if I'm totally believing all of Al Gore's rhetoric, but when it comes to Easter, I'm thinking there's some sort of global warming conspiracy going on.

When I was a little lad, I remember waking up on Easter Sunday to green grass, bright sun, colorful tulips blooming in the garden and a warm breeze ruffling through my bowl cut hair.

Some people may say that I'm crazy and this memory was something that I couldn't have possibly experienced in Ohio.

But, I asked my brother, my family and I even talked various friends and co-workers around my age (35). And all of them concur, the Ohio Easters of my youth were a lot different than the Easters we're witnessing nowadays.

Our Easters now consist of cold winds, muddy ground, gray skies, steel clouds and perhaps a flurry or two.

You would think we were celebrating Jesus' Birth rather than his Resurrection.

Well according to an article I found in The Athens News Courier, this year we can toss Al Gore out of the equation all together.

As it turns out, this is the second-earliest Easter....ever.

This year's Easter is March 23. The earliest Easter can be observed is March 22, which last occurred in 1818. According to the article, the next time Easter will be this early will be in 2228.

So, in five or six years, perhaps my kids will be hunting easter eggs outside in shorts and t-shirts rather than snowpants, galoshes and ski caps.

If Al Gore has anything to say about it, they will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the rules for when Easter appears on the calendar? Being loosely based in my faith, some of the details are kinda sketchy...

Eimer Debris said...

#CBROWN

According to my good friends at Wikipedia...
Easter is termed a moveable feast because it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year, following the cycle of the moon. All churches agreed that Easter would be on the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon that is on or after March 21 - the ecclesiastical spring, or vernal, equinox.

Learn something new everyday.