Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Concerning Copperfield's Magic Wand.

A couple days ago, I overheard a gentleman at the Tower City Mall in Cleveland, Ohio, tell a couple twenty-something girls that he was going to "Copperfield 'em".

Of course, he was joking. But it does make you think.

It's sad, sad world, when "David Copperfield" is being used synomymously with the word "rape".

Look, I agree that the guy may be a little weird and reclusive (as reported by TMZ.com), but do I think he would fly a woman down to his private island and viciously rape her...simply because he's David Copperfield and above the law? Hell no.

Who would want that press? And think about how much this guy stands to lose? I mean, he could really have any girl (or guy) he wants. And, if he was really lonely and horny, he could always hire a high-class hooker and play make believe.

Frankly, I'm not too sure I want to live in a world where one of my favorite magicians is being branded an 'alleged rapist'. But I digress.

Copperfield's recent sexual allegations sparked a memory about one of the most fantastic magic tricks I've ever seen.

The year was 1983. The Cold War was in full effect, millions watched M*A*S*H end after 11 years on television and Return of the Jedi was filling movie theaters and, in the process, smashing box-office records.

There were also rumors swirling around that Copperfield was at it again and was going to attempt one the biggest magic tricks in the history of the world.

Screw sawing someone in half, screw shoving those stupid swords into the rectangle box and screw those stupid card tricks, Copperfield was going to do the unthinkable and make the Statue of Liberty disappear.

Color me impressed.

Being a magic fan, I was a little dubious that a young magician such as Copperfield could pull off such a feat. Harry Houdini? Certainly. Harry Blackstone Jr.? Possibly. Doug Henning? Maybe.

But David Copperfield? No freaking way.

Well, I made sure my pessimistic 11-year-old ass was firmly planted in front of the TV when Copperfield waved his magic wand (No not that one!).

With bated breath, here's what I witnessed:




Years and years have passed and I still have no clue how he did it.

A couple magic blogs that I've visited (insert gay jokes here, too) claim the audience was sitting on a revolving platform that rotated slightly to the left, where another blank Statue of Libery platform was constructed, which made it appear as if Lady Liberty had disappeared. Voila!

A lot of other sites claim it was clever lighting, mirrors and smoke techniques. Just your basic, run-of-the-mill disappearing illusion - but on a much bigger scale.

But, the little kid deep inside of me just wants to believe that maybe, just maybe, Copperfield is truly magical. Maybe he wields mysterious powers that the world will never, ever comprehend.

Almost like that one bearded magician who walked the Earth a long, long time ago and turned water into wine...

No comments: