Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What's HAPPENING M. Night Shyamalan?

Hey there, just came across the movie trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's new flick The Happening due in theaters this June. Check it out right here:



Doesn't look too shabby. Reminds me of two Stephen King books Cell and The Stand mixed with some sort of Jesus-themed Armageddon type shit. It even seems like this movie could probably serve as a prequel to Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Harry Knowles of Aint-It-Cool-News raved about The Happening screenplay in an older post. However, keep in mind that Knowles' geek-love of directors, movies and screenplays has sometimes gotten in the way of obvious bad work.

But, knowing that crazy Shamalamadingdong, I'm sure there will be some sort of crazy twist ending.

Speaking of twist endings, it seems like all of his movies have sort of hit a downhill slant on the 'coolness' factor after his first two major films; The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Signs and The Village. I thought they were both great ideas. However, I think he was trying too hard to put his patented crazy, twist ending into those films. I mean, The Village had almost three different possible twist endings to choose from even before the movie ended.

To add to that, there's been rumors that he stole the idea for The Village from the novel Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

That said, I'm happy to see him back in the drama game after the horrific The Lady in the Water. That movie sucked so bad, my penis hurt after watching it.

So, I'm curious, what do you guys think about M. Night and the new trailer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad, Joan & I went to see this last night -- as Bev would say, it's a "PIECE OF SHIT!!!"...

I normally don't like taking a chance on movies without at least checking out Rotten Tomatoes or getting a thumbs up from a few friends I can trust, but how I wish I would've done so before this one.

Bad acting, plot holes, scientific "explanation" that is laughable. Horrific scenes that add nothing to the movie. Oh, and the slasher film staple of having someone pop out of a dark corner (and make it loud, of course) for a cheap audience scare.

Pffftt, I wouldn't recommend this on DVD, TBS or the Hallmark Channel. Don't waste your time and money.

Eimer Debris said...

Wow! That's what I've been hearing. It's a bummer because I was hoping M. Night would get back on track with some good stuff.

I hear the whole thing is laughable as well.

Piece of Shit indeed.