Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hey. How's the weather?

I was walking to my office a couple days ago happy as a clam when I ran into a co-worker with a smile on his face.

"Hey," he said. "How’s it going?"
Almost automatically I responded. "Well, you know. It’s Monday."

Now, if I can pause a minute. I didn’t even believe what I was saying. I just said it. I was feeling pretty good. Even loving life you might say. And still responded that I loathed the day just because IT WAS MONDAY. I should have responded "Dandy" or "Fabulous" or "Hey, at least I don’t have cancer." Or maybe even responded with a simple "Eh," with hand extended, going back and forth motion, which would have been better them my response.

Then I got to thinking.

Here is a basic discussion when I run into people, various people around the office or at work - or even in an elevator.

Me: Hey
Person: How are you?
Me: Good. And You?
Person: Can’t complain.
(Silence)
Me: Pretty nice out today, eh?
Person: Oh yeah. It’s nice.
Me: I hear it’s going to be even warmer tomorrow.
Person: No kidding.
Me: Nope. No Kidding.
Person: Huh? Well here’s my floor. See ya.

Let me first preface by saying that when I’m hanging out with my friends, I never talk this way. This isn’t me. But, let me also say that – as embarrassing as it sounds – I REALLY, TRULY, HONESTLY AM INTERESTED IN THE WEATHER!

Being a jogger, runner, hiker etc. and walking to work every morning, I really want to know what it’s going to be like outside, especially in the Spring when the Ohio weather is about as predictable as a ground hog running across the highway.

Am I slowly inheriting Old People traits or am I slowly turning into that fat lady in Office Space who says "Looks like somebody's got a bad case of the Mondays."

I guess either option sucks.

No comments: