Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Academy Awards Review (Even Steven)

Welp, the Academy Awards have come and gone, and damn were they pretty boring. Nothing really exciting to talk about here. However, among the movies that won, Now I definitely want to see Whiplash and Still Alice (because, sometimes, I feel like I have early onset Alzheimer's). And, you know what? I think it's time that I actually watched the Sound of Music all the way through. Oh sure, I've seen bits and pieces. But I've never sat through the whole thing in one sitting. By the way, at 79 years old, Julie Andrews still looks pretty hot.

So, I finished a weak 12-12 in my annual online Oscar poll. I took some chances on screenplays (because I thought Nightcrawler was deserving and I applaud Anderson for taking on Inherent Vice - although now I'm hearing rumblings that it's pretty sucky).

In any event, here are the categories that I got right:
  • BEST MOTION PICTURE OF THE YEAR
  • PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
  • PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING
  • BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING
  • BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN PRODUCTION DESIGN
  • ORIGINAL SCORE

And here are the categories I got wrong:
  • PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
  • BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM OF THE YEAR
  • ORIGINAL SONG
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
  • ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
  • ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
  • BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
  • BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
  • BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
  • ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS


Later!

No comments: