Well, it's that time of the year. No, not Thanksgiving and Christmas, you moron.
It that time of year when all of the good movies come out ... and I'm stuck at home, sitting, waiting, anxiously pawing at the window, praying for a wormhole to hop into so I can head to the movie theater to see the following 27 movies before Father Time cuts off his head with his dull scythe as the final seconds tick away on 2014 and Baby New Year 2015 is born. (Whew, that was a mouthful)
So, here's my movie viewing wish list (in no particular order):
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - Bryan Singer returns to his roots ... of filming X-men movies.
- INTERSTELLAR - Christopher Nolan's new space opus starring that one guy who won an award.
- BIRDMAN - Michael Keaton stars as a washed-up former superhero movie star.
- FURY - Pitt. Tanks. World War 2. Directed by the guy who wrote Training Day.
- NIGHTSTALKER - Jake G. returns to his Donnie Darko insanity roots.
- BIG HERO 6 - Disney's latest (and greatest) from the Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen crew.
- AMERICAN SNIPER - Clint Eastwood. Bradley Cooper. Navy S.E.A.L.S killing people.
- DUMB AND DUMBER TO - It may suck, but I just have to see it.
- FOXCATCHER - Steve Carrell. Drama. Wrestling. Murder.
- ST. VINCENT - Bill Murray is getting rave reviews.
- THE IMITATION GAME - It's getting Oscar buzz. It's about Codebreakers during WW2. I'm sold.
- THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING - Watch Errol Morris' 'A Brief History of Time' before you see this.
- WILD - Loved the book. Good choice of acting. Plus, it's a movie about hiking the PCT. Sold!
- EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS - A sandle epic about Moses directed by Ridley Scott. Ticket, please!
- INHERENT VICE - If Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson filmed a movie about toasting bread, I'd go see it.
- THE HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES - Duh.
- BIG EYES - Tim Burton turns his lens to the painter(s)? behind those 50's & 60's Big Eye portraits
- UNBROKEN - Loved the book. Trailer looks good. Angelina Jolie directs.
- TRACKS - Another female heroine who decides to trek the Australian outback.
- CHEF - Heard good things about Favreau's latest, I just haven't had the time to see it.
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - My kids saw it and loved it. I just haven't had the time.
- 20,000 DAYS ON EARTH - Nick Cave documentary that may or may not be 100% true.
- BOYHOOD - Richard Linklater's ambitious 12-year filming project just may win the big prize this year.
- WHIPLASH - I hear it's like STAND AND DELIVER meets the first part of FULL METAL JACKET ... with drums.
- LIFE ITSELF - Documentary about Roger Ebert.
- JODOROWSKY'S DUNE - Did you know another cult film director besides David Lynch was going to take on the movie Dune? What?!! You don't care?
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - I'll probably catch this on the rebound on DVD or OnDemand. Can't wait to see it.
Welp there you have it. 27 films that I must see before the end of 2014. Will I achieve my goal? Probably not. But wish me luck anyway! By the end of this week, I should have four scratched off the list.
What about you? Which movies are you looking forward to seeing before the ball drops ... literally and figuratively?