Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar Round-Up. 17-7 Bitches!

So the Oscars were last night and I promised a recap/round-up of my 'picks'.

But, before I begin, I wanted to bring up Steven Speilberg's quote, who presented the Best Picture award last night.

He pointed out that the winning movie would join the Academy as definitely one of the best movies to ever be made (I'm paraphrasing here). But, sent out a gentle reminder the nine other nominated films that do not win, would join such celebrated pictures as Citizen Cane, The Grapes of Wrath, The Graduate and Raging Bull.

Again, judging by my ten best films of all time, you can see that what he speaks is pure truth. That's why I'm not too upset that David Fincher didn't get his just desserts. At the end of they day, people will be talking about The Social Network (i.e. the acting, the score, the screenplay, the history) more than The King's Speech.

It's like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Time Bandits, Aliens, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Evil Dead 2 and all of the other movies that shaped my personal life. Those movies mean something to me. Although probably pretty good, The King's Speech isn't going to do that.

So, how did I do. Well, 17-7 overall. Not too shabby.

A couple quotes on the categories that I missed:

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - I chose Kids Are All Right. But The King's Speech won. I was happy to see the oldest person to win this Academy Award, which gives me motivation that life isn't over at 40 years old. Hell, it's just beginning.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM - I picked DOGTOOTH. However, IN A BETTER WORLD won. I know nothing about it.

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY. I picked ROGER DEAKINS for his work in TRUE GRIT. However, INCEPTION won. This was one of the biggest shockers for me. Deakins is a cinematography god. And has never won this award.


BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE. I chose RESTREPO. However, INSIDE JOB won. I hear it's a good film and am looking forward to seeing it. Especially now.

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING. Another shocker. I've never not picked this award. I chose 127 Hours, but SOCIAL NETWORK won. In hindsight, I think this is a very well deserved win.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM. I thought Pixar's Day & Night would win. THE LOST THING took the prize. Good job.

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM. I picked Na Wewe. However, my second choice - GOD OF LOVE took the award. Not surprised.

So, there you have it.

Now, after watching the Oscars, I'm really looking forward to seeing True Grit, Inside Job, The King's Speech and The Fighter.

How about you?

No comments: