Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Screw MONSTER, let's play JEHOVAH WITNESS.

So, after a laborious day of copywriting, I pick up the kids from school, we go home and eat some dinner...

....then we stare at each other.

"So, what do you guys want to do now?" I ask interrupting the brief, but poignant,silence.

Big devilish smiles appear on their faces as they scream, "Monster!"

"RAWR," I yell, as a I transform into the monster (a la American Werewolf in London) and chase them around the house all the while hurling them through the air and twist them around and around until I almost puke.

Well...yesterday, after dinner, the kids screamed that they wanted to play monster. Not sure if it was the long, drawn out Halloween festivities or the tedious repition of the week, but I said a stern, "No, not tonight."

Immediately, their smiles turned upside down. My son even began to cry.

"Hey, hey don't cry," I said. "It's okay."

Then, for some stupid reason, I started to sing Kumbaya:

'Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya; Kum bay ya, the Lord, kum bay ya; Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya, O Lord, kum bay ya.'

My kids started to laugh. I sang it again. And again.

Then they started to get annoyed. I kept singing it again, again and again.

Then they screamed. Then they ran. I walked slowly towards them like a zombie extra from The Walking Dead and continued to sing Kumbaya.

And, when I caught them (and I always did), I would give them a great big hug....

....until they screamed.

So, next time, you're getting sick of playing Monster with your kids. Switch it up and play Jehovah's Witness instead.

It will annoy the hell out of the kids, and you.

P.S. Mix up the game of Monster/Jehovah Witness even more by switching it up to 'Hare Krishna'.

1 comment:

cbrown said...

aw man, that's good stuff.